Called To Serve

Called To Serve

Sep 21, 2015

Frankfurt Order

So my first week in Frankfurt Oder has come to an end, and it has been pretty good!
My new companions name is Elder Allen. He hails from Houston Texas and has been on his mission for 5 months and.... he is a total Stud! I'm really looking forward to this transfer with him!
So Frankfurt Oder is right on the border of Germany and Poland and about an hour train ride away from Berlin. Due to our close proximity to Berlin, we have the awesome opportunity to travel into Berlin once a week for district meeting, so I finally get to see the big city! We also have another cool opportunity here in Frankfurt... that being that we teach someone who lives in Poland, so we also make a weekly trip to Poland!You might even call me a world traveler now;)
Well my spiritual thought for this week finds itself in Ether 12:4 which says
 
Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of man, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God
 
This scripture tells us that our hope and our faith should be like an anchor for us, and this symbolism of an anchor really got me thinking this week. If you think about the purpose of an anchor... its purpose is to sink down and hold a ship steady in storms and in waves, but an anchor that stays above the surface when the storm hits is absolutely useless. But an anchor that has sunk in deep before the storm comes can and will be a support during the storm. Sometimes I feel as if my faith didn't completely sink in all the way. Sometimes I would just go to church or read my scriptures and pray just because it was the right thing to do, but now I know that my faith has sunk in deep. I understand the why behind the commandments. I now understand that our faith should lead us to act and to change. It should really "sink" in to the depths of who we are. When we let our faith sink in deep, we will have that anchor in a sure place when the storms of life come, which they undoubtedly will. We will find ourselves supported. We will be safe.
That is my challenge for you this week.
Find a way to let in your faith sink in.
Whether that be taking notes in sacrament meeting, or re-immersing yourself in the scriptures, I promise that it will help when the storms of life come.
Thank you for your emails and your prayers!

 
Hello, Poland!
This picture captures Germany pretty well. The Mercedes building, the bombed out church, the BMW driving, the flags, oh, and the two buildings that say bikini on them...
Elder Allen and I

 

No comments:

Post a Comment