Called To Serve

Called To Serve

Nov 24, 2014

Week Four

On Wednesday we got on a train to Elsterwerda (a 2 hour trip) so that we could go and teach the Chege family (the Africans that I talked about last week) to find out if they wanted to be baptized.
When we got to Elsterwerda we had an hour to do some street finding. (walking around talking to people or doing doors) We found absolutely no one. All doors were slammed in our faces and we received some disgusted looks from everyone, a pretty normal day hahah. We did see a guy walking his dog and we had ten more minutes until we had to be to our appointment so we went up and talked to him.  At first he was very nice and talked to us, but then he went crazy and tried to prove to us that God isn't real and that even if there was a God then he hated us.... and he went off for like 5 minutes and finally I, being impatient and honestly done listening to him interrupted him and said "well I know there is a God and you can know too.... I like your dog have a nice day" and then I turned around and started walking to the Chege home because we were now late.... Elder Bretzing was so angry at the guy and wanted to go back and argue some more, but he realized we had a lesson and he needed to quickly refocus. 
After all that we went through the Cheges then told us that they hadn't prayed and that they don't understand why we need to be baptized again....... as they said this I looked at Elder Bretzing with a face of just utter terror (we didn't plan for this)! I gathered myself and said a quick prayer and hardcore preached the restoration to this African minister. I actually felt bad after (for like one second then I realized the Spirit told me to do it) all he could say after was "my soul is so confused" and "but it makes so much sense and it feels right" We then told him to actually pray about it and we invited him to our branch Christmas party. As we left he grabbed me by the shoulder and said "you are my brother" (my life is complete) and then offered a prayer asking God to "protect us the servants of the Lord from the powers of the Devil and the acts of evil men".  That was my cool spiritual but not so spiritual experience.

I cannot believe that I have been in Germany for a month! That is insane!
Everything is going great. My German is actually coming along little by little. It's so sad that I'm not going to be having a Thanksgiving this year, but hey, I'm doing the work of the Lord and that is awesome!

Thank you so much for the love and support. Be watching out for the new video coming out on lds.org this Friday. It is SUPER good!
The church is true and I miss all of you!
 
Love Elder Schmalz
 
Other tidbits we've learned from our individual letters this week...
 
His branch president owns a crematorium and Gav and his companion went into his work the other day to meet with him. He saw real dead bodies being prepared for cremation. The smell was pretty hard for him to deal with.
 
All this new physical activity is starting to effect his physic. He has had to take a pair of pants in to be altered and is in need of a new belt because he is out of belt holes. He is wanting to buy a new European suite now that he is lean and mean. Hopefully that's what Santa will bring him :)
 
He teaches an English class every week and loves it.
 
He eats A LOT of chocolate. Most the pastries are apple flavored. And he loves the food.  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment