Called To Serve

Called To Serve

Nov 24, 2015

Thanksgiving

The time of Thanksgiving is finally here! It's the season to play football, build snow turkeys, going shooting, and of course eating a ton of awesome food! 
Sadly, most of these things are impossible for a missionary here in Germany and especially in Frankfurt an Der Oder to do. So naturally, I'm feeling a little homesick. But in the last few days I have started to ask myself a very cliché question..... "What is the reason for the season?" I know that this question is usually asked as we sit around a Christmas tree, but I think it applies very well in any holiday situation.
Although football, guns, and food are all fantastic and super fun things, they sometimes steal our attention away from the more important part of this time of year. That being to Give Thanks!           (wow I never would have guessed with a name like Thanksgiving)
But in all seriousness, I'm really glad that it is called Thanksgiving  
The word giving in Thanksgiving implies that our gratitude and thankfulness is something that can and should be passed on or given. The word giving, encourages us to turn ourselves to the source of our blessings, that source being our Father in Heaven! He gave us these things because he loves us and wants us to remember Him. And as we remember him and give Him our thanks, things start to change. Thanksgiving very quickly becomes a holiday of humility and praise rather than one of pride and gluttony.
So pretty much to wrap it up, it doesn't matter if you are in America or in Germany, if you are eating turkey this Thursday or if you are going to be eating vegan food at a members house. Thanksgiving is something that you give not something that you get. And it can be celebrated at anytime and in anyplace!
Thank your for reading my two cents about thanksgiving. I want you to know that I'm thankful for you! Thank you for writing me and for praying for me!
I hope that you all have a great Thanksgiving! Make sure to eat an extra slice of pie for me.
Love, Elder Schmalz 

P.S.
Here are three really good Thanksgiving scriptures as well
D&C 78: 17-19
Alma 34:38
D&C 59:15

No comments:

Post a Comment