Called To Serve

Called To Serve

Jan 19, 2015

New Companion, Threats, and of course Missionary Work!

This week has been the longest and weirdest week ever! It started off with having to drop Elder Bretzing off at the train station in Dresden, and that was hard. 12 weeks is a long time to spend with a person, but luckily Elder Bretzing was awesome and we became really close so it's good I guess that it was hard to say goodbye. I then spent all of Tuesday with my two German zone leaders and I was able to clearly communicate the entire time with them so that was cool. I also picked up Elder Weber!

Elder Weber is from Highland, Utah and he went to Lone Peak Highschool, so we will be able to talk a lot about Utah for a while haha! He also loves to go running....... Yeah (sarcasm) but in all seriousness, he seems awesome and I can't wait to get to work :)

One of the things we do here in Meissen to help find new investigators is teach a free English class at the church. We recently took a break for the holidays and we were going to be started up again this week, so Elder Bretzing and I went around Meissen and the surrounding towns and we were putting up flyers. Without even realizing, we put up one of our flyers right across the street from a company that teaches English for €190 ($220) a class.... whoops

My first day with Elder Weber we recieved a phone call in perfect English (super weird, we never hear English) asking about our English course, and if I was the teacher, what time and where, and how to spell my name?..... Then they went into a whole thing about how we are breaking the law by offering a free class and that if we continue they will take action......
Luckily their claims are false and we as missionaries are recognized by the goverment of Germany as teachers and eccliastical leaders and we have the licences to prove it.
So don't be surprised if in my next email you are hearing about the police showing up at the church and asking us a bunch of questions. hahaha!

We met with Raju this week and gave him a baptismal calendar and scheduled out all of the lessons with him before his baptism. We talked to him about the Book of Mormon and I'm super excited for him and his family!

That's pretty much all that has happened this past week.
I'm super excited for this next week and for what it will bring.
 
You should all go and read the Book of Mormon and find your favorite verse and then send it to me next week!:)
 
Love Elder Gavin Schmalz
 

No comments:

Post a Comment